Challenge Council Minutes
Sunday, April 22, 2001
NCYSA State Office, Greensboro
- Call to Order by Grant Underhill
1. Meeting was called to order by Grant Underhill, minutes where tabled,
quorum not established until 10:55. Bob Hudson moved to accept minutes, 2 nd by
Mike of WOW.
- Challenge State Cup
- Recap of Spring Challenge Cup looked at teams getting knocked out as a result of the tournament being postmark driven. Suggestions to the problem included trying to find another teams to complete brackets, for example one team to make a 19 team bracket a 20 team bracket. WOW suggested that more sites be considered to accommodate teams the drawback being less revenue per site. Grant Underhill suggested that the issue be further discussed.
- Challenge League Referee Fee
- All leagues expressed a need for better refs as well as a need to compete with classic
Fees. Currently Challenge cannot pay Classic fees. NMYSA stated that they did not lower their Rec ref fees. A motion was made by Dave Stump, 2 nd by Mike Smith (GYSA) to allow any association to offer classic fees to challenge games as well as the Challenge Cup Motion passed and ready to go to BOD.
- Let’s get legal
- Challenge registration deadlines mentioned, 3-4 th week in Sept., as a reminder to
teams wanting to get player passes in time for the first weekend of Challenge play.
- Challenge Scheduling Leagues- Roundtable discussion
- Motion made by Billy Helms for all 4 team brackets that advance to final 4 weekend
go thru a round robin format instead of single elimination format.
- Motion made to Strike the words, “Any Semi-Final Match shortened by the referee
due to dangerous weather will stand” from the Challenge Cup rules.
- Motion made by Mike Cook for changes to the Challenge Issue Guidelines
- Strike “IF less than 30% of field is under water, then consider playing match”
- Strike “…by as much as1/2 of the published game times”
- Remove parenthesis from match considered complete after it reaches the end of the first half of the time established for the match.
- Add – Any match not completed to the end of the first half in the same day will be considered incomplete and not played. All efforts will be made to play a complete game that weekend.
- Remove “This shoot-out will be used in all cases where no actual play has transpired between the two opponents.”
- Add statement concerning Uniformity of decisions
Respectfully Submitted by Mari Villalobos
Assistant Director, Challenge
Taken from the notes of those persons present at the April 22 nd meeting.